Sunday, July 3, 2011

How Google Plus can gain ubiquity

Following on from my earlier posting on Google’s introduction of Google Plus, I was taking along a further understanding of its potential thanks to the comments by my old friend Boudewijn.

His comment below really struck a chord with me:

If they'd make something that has the wow-factor of wave, would focus on cellphone users, and that would enable commerce without pushing it in the face of the casual user... then we'd have a winner.
And he's right (in my opinion). If Google were to develop their new Google Plus social networking platform to be ubiquitous to the ever-growing mobile internet population and to incorporate payment functionality... such as their Google Shopping Cart product, then they may be able to take on the might of Facebook as the default social platform for posting, sharing and interacting with friends and other contacts.

Without that ubiquity, Google Plus could just be another social media also-ran.

3 comments:

Erik said...

B.'s wrong and so are you (in my opinion).

The Google Wave Wow Factor was huge, nevertheless GW was a failure. Wow-factor without added value for users is a recipe for small disasters.

Mobile? There's a native Android app, an iPhone app and other iOS apps are announced. And there is m.google.com/plus. For starters.

Payment? Commerce? I thought we were talking social media here. Something else than e-commerce.

We'll see how things turn out in the long run, but in the meantime I'd say this is an also-blog.

Hayden Sutherland said...

Erik

A great comment, thanks for your perspective.

Yes, Google Wave was a failure and eventually pulled, not IMHO because it didn’t have the Wow factor…. but because it was an application in search of a demand (not the other way around, where as we know “necessity is the mother of invention”).

I wasn’t aware of the mobile application, so thanks for that, I have already loaded it up. (But since I am still waiting for my account to be activated I can’t use it yet and will report on its usage when I do get access.)

However, I really can’t disagree with you more on the combination of social media and eCommerce. Shopping is a social activity and social commerce in all its flavours is the ideal combination of online sharing and electronic transactions.

How this is then done is where the creativity needs to be inventive and where Google Plus can hopefully created ubiquity.

Erik said...

Hi Hayden,

I stumbled upon an article on the subject you might find interesting:

http://www.ducttapemarketing.com/blog/2011/06/29/google-offers-great-business-potential/

grts, Erik