- The development of a vision
- Where digital benefits are fully utilised & integrated across the organisation
- By your organisation
- For your organisation
- Owned by your organisation
- Supported by:
- Clear goals and measurable Key Performance Indicators (KPIs)
- A prioritised portfolio of projects with an achievable delivery road map
Monday, October 28, 2013
Oh... We already have a digital strategy
When I talk to organisations about the need for a strategic plan for implementing online tools and services, I get told "Oh... We already have a digital strategy" or something similar.
But just as importantly for me is that this digital strategy should not be set in stone forever. Yes, it should have board-level approval, but it should not sit in a drawer and gather dust over time, it should be revisited, reviewed and redrafted to accommodate changes in: Technology, People & Processes, your wider Business strategy and any other external factors (e.g. competitors, legislation, etc.).
I hear this phrase quite a lot and it is typically followed by other quotes such as "We created one of those a couple of years back" or "We had one produced in 2011 by a bunch of consultants, but they didn't understand our business".
My take on this is that the process to create a digital strategy should be: