Monday, August 18, 2008

Virtual Worlds

Having been involved with 3D/Virtual worlds for over a decade now (from the early days of contributing to Virtual Reality Special Interest Groups to finding new ways to improve the rendering speed of Second Life on my home PC), I'm still interested in their usage and development as a communication, simulation & training tool.

I am therefore curious to see what Google's new virtual world, called 'Lively' was all about.
Note:
I hope to be trialling it soon, so stay tuned, but here's the best review of it I have found so far:
http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/the_web/article4318575.ece

However, what has really got my attention is this demo video (possibly fake) posted up recently to several virtuial world discussion groups and news sites. If this is real, then the likes of Lively and Second Life could find they have a limited shelf life....

No comments: