Tuesday, June 12, 2012

the corporate layers - an idea developed

In a recent post I started to work through my thoughts around the development of McKinsey's company software layer concept. I mentioned that I thought there was at least one obvious omission (e.g. web services) and that a single layer to explain it all was too simple.

So now I find myself putting forward an evolved version of this idea, unashamedly taking McKinsey's model as the basis of it.
Corporate layers
View more PowerPoint from Hayden Sutherland

As you can see from my embedded presentation there are now five proposed layers rather than just two.


  1. Core business processes
  2. Web services & API’s
  3. Owned media such as website(s), Apps, Kiosks, etc.
  4. Paid media such as online advertising (PPC, etc.)
  5. Earned media such as Social, Word-of-mouth, etc.
Although I believe the lines between owned, paid and earned are now becoming increasingly blurred, there is a place for each of the different communication media in my new model.

No comments: