Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Has blogging really made a difference

It was a few years ago now that I picked up my copy of "The New Rules of Marketing & PR" by David Meerman Scott, which really enthused me to keep writing this blog and maintain it's focus on new company communication methods and the open & competitive digital landscape they faced.

I dreamed of a transparent and constant blogging corporation that embraced dialogue with it's customers and avoided the Dell Hell situation with a crowd sourced team of company advocates and social media evangelists.

I realised that this new communication method had created a hybrid from the once separated silos of: PR, CRM, marketing and 1-2-1 digital interaction. I also realised that our American chums were more likely to get buy-in from their senior execs because... Well we're British and we don't do this open stuff with our closest family members, let alone the general public, but I still had hope that we'd get there eventually.

And now, several years down the line (and hundreds of blog posts later) how have we fared???
Well not very well it seems as 18 of the FTSE 100 companies had a blog and only eight of these are apparently proper blogs in the truest sense (allowing comments).
(Via research from The Group)

Oh dear... Is that progress?

No comments: