Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Why Community moderation is like a pot plant

Today I was presenting some thoughts to a client about the development of their digital strategy. Along the way we also discussed some digital marketing and content optimisation recommendations, including an approach to community management and moderation.

In a rush to explain myself (I was getting a little carried away I guess) I explained that managing a community online was like a household pot plant.

How? Well, like any living organism, a community needs care to keep it alive. Only the way you care for a community is by moderating (pruning) it carefully and providing the necessary feed (updates or topics for discussion). You can also afford not to go to this effort every single day (meaning you can afford to occasionally take a holiday) and rely on the inputs and outputs you've provided to sustain your entity.

No comments: