- It gives instant gratification
- It combines audio & video to give a proper 'multimedia' experience
- It requires as much interaction or engagement as the viewer wants (from nothing upwards)
So.... what should a company do about this?
- Produce different quality video based upon the expectations of your audience
E.g. if it is a 'grass roots' video for a YouTube clip, then there's proabably no real reason why it can't be shot in-house
- Learn what you can do in-house and cannot
The cost-effectiveness of building your own in-house video capability depends on the use you're going to put it to. Most companies cannot and should not do this as it requires a huge commitment. Use smaller dedicated agencies can provide this.
- Understand how video fits in across you media landscape and how you can share in its production & usage
e.g. Use and reuse clips, capture what you can and store it in the best possible format for possible future use (it will quicklt become a valued reference)
- Measure it
Understand how your users and audience are consuming it, then work out what works best